Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bartering at the Markets

This week I visited Kariakoo, an enormous market close to downtown Dar that sells everything under the sun. It was recommended to me by my Kiswahili teacher as a good place to shop, and was not as touristy as Mwenge market (which is close to campus). She was right - there were incredible amounts of kangas and colorful clothing, as well as lots of produce, electronics, motorbikes, etc. The sheer volume of goods at the market was overwhelming. There were shops crammed in every corner. In some alleyways there was only room for people to walk single file, but there were clothing shops tucked in along both sides. I began to wonder: who buys all this stuff?? It seems to me like there are way more things for sale than potential buyers, and in a place where people don't have much money it seems like there wouldn't be capital to spend on things at the market. There definately are not enough tourists to turnover the inventory. We were the only wazungu that I saw at the marketplace. I bought some colorful fabric that I plan on trading with others on the trip and making kangas with it.
We also took a trip to Mwenge to practice bartering for Kiswahili class. It was fun to go out and use our practical classroom skills in the marketplace! I managed to barter a chicken down to 8,000 tsh, but unfortunately did not have a place to keep it back in the dorm . . .
I also have obtained many mystery bites on my hands that look a lot worse than they feel. We suspect that they are perhaps bug bites. Definately not mosquitos, though there are plenty of those around.
Last night a group of Mozambique students gathered outside our dorm to sing. They were really good! It was so cool to be serenaded by african music!

No comments:

Post a Comment